Engineers are methodical and logical beings with the intelligence to back up their reasoning. They are influential in the greatest of innovations and are pushing the boundaries for new technologies today. In this post, we realize that engineers are a big part of the MISUMI office and perhaps your office/plant/building or whichever location you are in. Sometimes they will have those revelatory moments when they’ve taken their engineering a bit too far but in a humorous, charming way. We’ve gathered those moments in this post with the many completions of this statement.
You Know You’re an Engineer When….
- You reverse engineer…EVERYTHING. If you can’t determine how something is manufactured or want to take a deep dive into the design, you flip it and reserve it. Let’s take it apart. What part? ALL. OF. IT.
- You have the most advanced calculator in the office. TI-83 or TI-89 Scientific Graphing Calculator or a Casio FX-115 is used for the most complicated of calculations.
- You have a spreadsheet for everything. A spreadsheet for data trends, grocery lists, and your top 10 Marvel movies.
- You try to guess how the inside of a machine works and what components are in it. You find yourself trying to figure out how the luggage conveyor works at the airport. You bet there’s a few gears, rollers, timing pulleys and shafts in there. It’s like x-ray vision!
- Everyone sees this…
The Golden Gate Bridge
You see this…
Stresses and Strains on the Golden Gate Bridge
- You compare your current project to your Thermodynamics course from college or whatever your most challenging engineering course was. Perhaps you find yourself thinking that you’d rather retake that again.
- You believe the technology from science fiction movies will happen…Nano bites, teleportation, space travel, lightsabers etc.…someday.
- You get excited when that the one phone app you thought of already exists but upset that you didn’t get the chance to develop it yourself.
- You love honey, not for the sweet taste but of its high viscosity.
- You defrost meat for dinner and create a heat transfer problem.
- You know the difference between cement and concrete.
- You love math but not adding, subtracting, and long division math. You love algebra, calculus, and differential equations math.
- Your solution to everything is more duct tape.
- You can’t write on paper unless its graph paper with a drafting pencil that has 0.5mm lead.
- Your idea of fun for a Friday night is staying in and building IKEA furniture…WITHOUT the instructions.
- You use CAD for everything, kid’s wooden car project or a Rube Goldberg Machine.
- You name your pet after your favorite scientist. Tesla, Bernoulli, Fourier, Laplace, Newton, Einstein, Hawking, Curie, it’s a very long list.
- You assemble an item and toss the instructions. They’re just recommendations anyway…
A few of the many revelations that engineers everywhere can relate to. At MISUMI, we’ve definitely experienced #4 with the amazing designs our customers create with the power of MISUMI’s configurable components and there’s always the great project comparison to a most difficult engineering course. MISUMI’s engineers are all here for you with any questions or concerns you may have. Be sure to reach out to them with any questions via chat on our website or email at email@example.com
Let us know when you have moments such as these or what revelations you have as an engineer daily! Comment below!